Mountain Dew and and a Mouse Necropsy

Mountain Dew
What is in it may be scarier than what isn’t.
“Mountain Dew is so bad for you that the can couldn’t possibly have the body of a dead mouse in it when you drink it” seems to be the ruling of veterinarian Lawrence McGill. The question arose because of a lawsuit filed by one Ronald Ball, who claimed that he drank from a can of Mountain Dew, became ill, and poured out the contents, only to find a dead mouse inside.  However, PepsiCo hired McGill (among others) who testified that:

if a mouse is submerged in Mountain Dew between four and seven days, the rodent “will have no calcium in its bones and bony structures.” During those days of soft drink immersion, “the mouse’s abdominal structure will rupture.” Additionally, “its cranial cavity (head) is also likely to rupture within that time period,” McGill noted.

Besides, said McGill, the mouse in question was too young—it hadn’t even been born when the soda was bottled.

Mmmmm.  That’s good stuff.

hat tip: The Smoking Gun


  1. Christopher Morgan

    Is it bad that I put things like this higher than winning the lotto? Every time I open a coke or get McDonalds I think “Maybe today will be the day, the day I find a body part/animal/animal head in my food and or drink.” Once just once I want it to be me, just so I can proudly stand amongst the greats.

  2. Laura K. Curtis

    @cmorgan –

    Stay tuned and we’ll be sure to let you know what to look for, like gelatinous substances rather than fur!

  3. Deborah Lacy

    Lovely to know what Mountain Dew must do to your insides if the company that makes it admits that’s what it does to a mouse!

Comments are closed.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.