Discussion Questions: Every Last Fear by Alex Finlay
By Crime HQDecember 2, 2021
Every Last Fear
Reading Group Discussion Guide
1. Who was your favorite—and least favorite—member of the Pine family (and why)?
2. The docu-series that focused on Danny Pine’s murder conviction was a national sensation, like Netflix’s Making a Murderer or the Serial podcast. Do you see any problems with the country’s obsession with true crime?
3. Matt Pine often used scenes from movies to understand or express his emotions. Are there any films that have helped you do the same?
4. The shortcomings of the criminal justice system, including the high rate of juvenile false confessions, is an important theme of the novel. Was there anything that surprised you?
5. Matt’s band of friends from NYU helped him cope with the grief. Outside your family, do you have a group that has helped you through difficult times?
6. At the bar in Tulum, Matt told Hank about an NYU course on “happiness,” and about studies showing that there’s something you
can do every day that is proven to make you happier. Will you try it?
7. Many readers connected with FBI Agent Sarah Keller. Why do you think she resonated? Did she with you?
8. Members of the Pine family kept secrets from one another. When you learned that Evan knew Liv’s secret about their youngest son, did it make you feel differently about Evan? When you learned Matt’s secret about what he saw the night of Charlotte’s murder, did it make you feel differently about him?
9. What did you find to be the most chilling moment of the novel?
10. After you finished the book, does the title, Every Last Fear mean something different from when you started? What’s your every last fear?